|Bharat (India) >>
Districts >> Yamunanagar|
headquarter is situated in Yamunanagar. Other smaller towns are Jagadhari, Chhachhrauli, Radaur and Sadhaura. Total
area of the district is 1,756 sq km and its population is 8,21,000.|
Yamunanagar was formed as a new district of Haryana on 16 October, 1989. Earlier to that it was part of Ambala district. The river Yamuna forms its eastern boundary with the states of Uttar Pradesh and Uttranchal. The district is also bordered by Himachal Pradesh and the districts of Karnal, Kurukshetra and Ambala. There are 655 villages and 10 towns in this district.
Places to visit: Dadupur, Kalesar Forest, Hathni Kund and Tajewala barrage. Another not to be missed place is the Ch Devi Lal Herbal Park.
Yamunanagar town has many large industries in plywood, paper, sugar, metal and utensils sector. Saraswati Sugar Mills is located here.
JAGADHRI: Known for utensils industry. Yugandhra & Ganadhari had been demolished by Nadirshah in 1739. The credit of rebuilding this city goes to Sardar Roa Singh in 1783. Slowly it became a major centre of metals industry.
BHUDIA: A famous town situated 3 km away from Jagadhri and 8 km from Yamunanagar railway station. It is said that Hamayun came here for hunting in Shivalik forests made up a 'Rang-Mahal'. Many people guess the relation of 'Rang-Mahal' of Bhudia to Birbal, one of the Navrattana of Akbar. In nearby Dayalgarh, there is a very beautiful place of worship - the renovated old temple of Shree Pataleshvar Mahadev with a beautiful garden and some ashrams of saints made during mediaeval times.
BILASPUR & KAPALMOCHAN: Bilaspur town, named after the writer of the Mahabharata - Maharishi 'Ved Vyas', is a historical place. It is supposed that there was an Ashram of Ved Vyas on the bank of a pond situated here. The statue of Uma Mahadev made in 9th-10th century, and statue of Ganesha made in 11th-12th century and remains of Gupta period prove the antecedence of Kapalmochan. People came from all parts of the country feel spiritual elevated by taking bath here in ponds (kunds) known as Rinmochan, Kapalmochan and Surya kund. There is also a Hindu temple and Gurudawara of Dasham Padhashahi.
PANCHMUKHI HANUMAN MANDIR: The temple is situated on the road coming from Bilaspur to Chhachhrauli, 4 km away from Bilaspur and it attracts large numbers of people.
CHHACHRAULI: The main tehsil situated in north east and 11 km from Jagadhri. In the past it was the capital of Kalsia state. Created by Raja Gurbaksh Singh in 1763. Today 'Ravi Mahal', Ghantaghar, Janak Niwas and the fort have their own dignity. There is also a Sainik Parivar Bhawan & Bal-kunj social welfare institution at Chhachrauli.
BAN SANTUR: This village is situated north east from Chhachhrauli near Kalesar - it is supposed to be connected with King 'Shantanu' of Mahabharata.
ADIBADRI: It lies 40 km north of Yamunanagar town. It is approached by road via Bilaspur and is about 2 kms. from the nearest village Kathgarh. Located in the foothills of the Shivaliks, it is a picturesque location, abundant with natural beauty and tranquility, with the Adi-Badri Narayana, Shri Kedar Nath and Mantra Devi Temples in the background. Three mounds of antiquities have recently been excavated by the Archaeological Survey of India.
CHANETI: It is situated 3 km away from Jagadhri. There is a grand Tomb of 8 meters in height made of bricks, in the area of about 100 sq meters near the village. Made in round shape this is an old Buddhist Stupa. According to Hieun Tsang, this was built by the great King Ashoka.
HARNOL & TOPRA: A religious place named 'Panjtirthi' is situated 15 km away from Yamunanagar on the road coming from Topra Kalan to Harnol. There are Shiv Temples and a Gurudwara which indicate the cordial relations of Sikhs and Hindus. People come here for sacred bath. There are statues of Lord Ram, Sita and five Pandavas.
SADHAURA: An old historical place. It was said that people coming from Haridwar and all the religious places of Himachal Pradesh used to take rest here. It was known as the 'Sadhu-raha' in the past. Later it became Sadhaura.
|Science||Aviation - Flying School||Reference|